When I first joined Smeared and Smudged I immediately checked out the challenges. The project that I am posting today is for a Junk Funk challenge where you recycle something in your home. This month it is newspaper.
Now you can do a lot with newspaper and my initial go to was paper mache. But the more I thought about it, the more I wanted to do something different, out of the box.
My inspiration for this project was the face coming out of the wallpaper, only with newspaper. I scrunched and spritzed and glued for an outcome that I never knew I could create. All I did was try, and so should you.
I am also going to join in the Left of Center Creative Challenge this round.
I thought it would be fun to make the picture look like it was the "morning" paper.
So, Whaddya Think?
I started with scrunching up about 1/4 of one newspaper page.
Then scrunched up and spritzed with water 1/2 of a page. This 1/2 page went over the smaller balled up one to help form the bulk of the head.
I glued the top 1/2 down, with Tombow, on all sides to another piece of newspaper as the base.
I then formed the head by pulling and scrunching to make the mouth and eyes.
Once I had the basic form of the face, I tore off more pieces of newspaper to go around the sides to help with the look of the face coming out of the newspaper base.
I made sure to dry after any water or spritzing just in case of molding.
I spritzed with a mixture of alcohol, re-inker, and water. I used Old Olive, Cherry Cobbler, Crumb Cake re-inkers (SU!).
I stamped the flame images (The Great Outdoors stamp set - SU!). Then colored in with markers and punched out. I set in eye sockets and covered with Crystal Effects.
Once the eyes were dry I went randomly over raised areas and around base with an Acrylic Paint Dabber, Espresso. Then used a sponge as well with the same paint.
I wanted to Steampunk this up a bit, so I Versa Marked a small 3" x 3" piece of newspaper. Then used Pewter Embossing Powder to emboss. I impressed the cogs (on head and side) with the stamps from a set called Clockworks (SU!). Cut them out and tore strips to add faux metal to project.
Raided my husbands tool box and found some washers, screws, and other metal objects which were glued down.
I spitzed again with Tattered Angels Chalkboard called Alaskan Salmon and Gold Smooch Spritz (SU!) to finish off the coloring on the project.
I found some headlines in our local paper and adhered them with Crystal Effects.
Since I wanted to make the head look like it was out of the paper itself, I glued newspaper base to 1/2 of a piece of newspaper. Once dry, I again glued the bigger base to the left side of our local paper. I used Crystal Effects to adhere all the edges of each base down.
(SU!) - Stampin' Up!