Thursday, May 8, 2014

SI May 2014 Member Hop & Aurora Wings #2

Member Blog Hop
May 2014

BLOG HOP ROLL
Erin 
Shoni aka Crafty Inknik - YOU ARE HERE
Ike 

If you have already been at Erin's blog, and those before, you may already know that the challenge for this May Member Blog Hop is WATER.  We get to interpret this any way we would like.  If this is your first stop, Ike is up next and the Blog Roll is listed above.

Members of the Smeared and Smudged Forum have a chance each month to show off their mad skills.  I am so happy to have 7 other fellow members join me this month.  Please leave some love because I know each one of them have worked very hard in a short amount of time. 

I am also entering this wall hang into the Aurora Wings Challenge Blog.  The theme for Challenge #2 is Monochromatic.

For this project, I had no idea what I wanted to do.  I was looking for tutorials using paper towels and somehow found this wonderful picture of a fish that was made from toilet paper rolls.  It looked a lot like Quilling, just on a bigger scale (hehe...).  So I decided to try it out with card stock.  Below you will find more pictures on the beginnings of my fish.  I am so happy to share this with you and very pleased at how it all turned out.  Enjoy!



Gut Full of Deets

FISH
8 different card stocks were used.  I cut up into 3/4" x 8 1/2" and 3/4" x 12" from all different blue toned card stocks.

Used a Bone folder/pencil/paintbrush end to help curl the strips.

Sticky Strip to help hold it all together.  Mini Glue dots to help the swirls stay in place. 

Once the fish was completely done, I flipped it over and used Crystal Effects over as many edges as I could.  Then flipped it back and adhered to my finished background.



THE SEA aka background

Background is made from two pieces of cardboard backing that comes in the SU! Designer Paper packages.  They measure 12" x 12".  Used a piece of packing tape to hold them together.
I really wanted these bubbles to stand out.  I stamped bubbles with the darkest blue I had, Night of Navy, then used Clear Embossing Powder and heat set on the stamped images.  Each bubble was colored in with Pool Party and Marina Mist markers to help add depth and pop a bit from the rest of the background.


Ink layers, Pistachio Pudding, Pool Party, and Marina Mist were then brayered on.
Homemade spritz with re-inker and alcohol randomly over entire background.

Different colors of blues inked onto two sizes of bubble wrap to make background textures.

Crumb Cake ink and a background stamped called Netting for more texture.

Other stamps used:
Smushallaum and Octopet are by Daniel Torrente from Stampotique
Rising Bubbles and Leafy Sea Dragon from Designs By Ryn
Stamp from set Dedicated to Art (Dec 2013) from the Smeared Ink Rubber Club

Vanilla Shimmer Smooch Spritz on entire background.

Tore the right and lefts sides.  Inked and sponged torn edges and all sides with Night of Navy ink.

Crystal Effects over embossed bubbles and randomly around fish.
All materials used are current Stampin' Up! unless otherwise noted.


14 comments:

  1. I really like this. Usually I don't like quilling (far too fussy!!) but on this scale it is really quite graphic and elgant. Love the background textures, they really complement the fish design. Great blog hop today!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so beautiful! I would proud to try this...if only it would look like yours. beautiful piece.
    hugs
    susan s

    ReplyDelete
  3. That fish is tremendous - I love the expression on his face!! The colours are lovely - a brilliant creation!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ab fab. I love the fish. I am going to have fun with this with my kids.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It looks so difficult to do, but when you show how it seems so simple!
    thank you so much for sharing your technique, your fish is gorgeous !!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow a stunning project. Just love the fish, I've never tried Quilling but this certainly is very inspiring.

    Hugs Erin x

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow...Shoni...this is amazing. I can't believe what you did with toilet paper rolls. It does remind me of quilling. Love the background you created for your fish to swim on. Fantastic artwork!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh Shoni...i really dont know what to say...this is so completely unique.... i've not seen anything like it before.
    Amazing... brilliant... unique...love it. So glad you hopped this month ... members hops just are not the same without you love xxx

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fantastic fish you created and a perfect sea background too! =)
    Hugs, Elenor

    ReplyDelete
  10. Shoni, you never cease to amaze me with your creativity! LOVE that BIG fish and the fab background and wonderful sea creatures you've stamped. Totally GORGEOUS! xxD

    ReplyDelete
  11. WoWza - that is just soooo cool !!! What a brilliant idea - a pure masterpiece :-)
    Hugz
    IKE xxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  12. wow turned out so beautiful! what a fab idea. great to see the step by step also. xx

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beyond amazing! Love your creation!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow, what an amazing creation! I LOVE that background so much! xx

    ReplyDelete