Monday, April 22, 2013

Hans & Gret

I started this project just over a week ago.  Then somehow managed to lose it, and the bits and pieces that go with it.  I do not know how I could lose this since my work area is not that big!  All is well, but I did have to re-stamp two of the cages.  At least I finished and on to the next project...wait...now where did I put that???

Smeared and Smudged April's Challenges are so great this month.  Get over there, join the forum, and get craftin'.  The Guest Designer this month is Sharon Sahl.  Please check out her blog post HERE to see what she has created to inspire the rest of us.  Her's is an Architectural Challenge, using any architectural elements in your project.

I loved her dimensional layers and wanted to create something along those lines as well.  I decided on a 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" card.  I have been dying to put some kids in cages (too bad I can't cage mine) which inspired me to create the inside of the witch's house in the tale of Hansel and Gretal.  I hope that this meets the challenge and "Thanks Sharon" to a fun day of creativity.


Details, details, details....
BASE - Back Wall & Floor
Back Wall
The base measures 5 1/2" x 5 1/2" out of Whisper White card stock.  All card stock is from Stampin' Up! (SU!). 
I found the witch and oven images on Google and printed them out on copy paper.  I cut and colored each with markers (SU!) and blender pen.  I used a silver marker to also color in oven and give highlights to the witch to see her clothing better.
Behind the oven I used a Tim Holtz Embossing Folder for the brick and used Early Espresso, Basic Gray, and Always Artichoke ink pad and blender pen to color in and add texture.
The back wall is designer paper from a pack called Tea Party (SU!).  I used an Embossing Folder called Woodgrain (SU!) to add texture.  Then sponged with Early Espresso ink.  I tore into strips and adhered to base, then added the stove.  I sponged around stove to help it look like the brick was worked into the wood wall.

Floor
I stamped the bottom of base with a background stamp called Woodgrain for the floor.  Used the blender pen and Early Espresso ink to make floor boards.

SIDES AND LAYERS
On the sides of the card I attached an accordion strip of card stock to help with the layer effect.

I stamped girl in cage, colored, cut out and attached to first fold on right side of card.

The black strip is suppose to be the bottom of the wall crease into the floor.  I think this is a little to big, but it is glued down and I could not redo.  This strip is also attached to the first fold on right and left side of card.

There is a floor board strip that is attached to the second fold on right and left side of card.  The witch and stool are on this strip.
 
 I finished the top layer with a frame that I used a Cuttlebug Embossing Folder on.  I used White Embossing Powder on skull heads.  Frame is then sponged with Early Espresso ink and layered onto a Basic Black frame.  Frame was then attached to top fold on accordion.

EXTRAS
Cages
Cages were stamped with Versa Mark and heat embossed with Black Embossing Powder.  I then stamped the kids in with Basic Gray ink and colored in with blender pen and markers.  I cut out each, poked a hole, and added Linen Twine (SU!).

Stool
Stool is stamped in Early Espresso ink.  I cut out and added Crystal Effects.

Bones
Bones were stamped with Basic Gray ink.  I then colored with blender pen and Early Espresso ink.  Stamp is from a set called Creepy Creatures Cling from Inkadinkado.

I added dimensionals to help hold up Gretal, witch, empty cage, and stool.
SU! Stamp Sets:  Greeting Card Kids (Hansel and Gretal), Aviary (3 cages), Cherish Friendship (stool & basket)
 

2 comments:

  1. Shoni, this is such a terrific explanation of your tunnnel card. I lost pieces of mine too as it was waiting to get assembled. Such a pain to have to use a whole sheet of paper to reprint a piece or two! I love your mangled storybook theme and your empathy with the sweet little hungry witch. Once I locked my children and their friends who were running through the house screaming like banshees out of the air-conditioned house until they agreed to "cool" it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is so great! The dimension is amazing.:)

    ReplyDelete